Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Euphonic Compression

Hi, Bruce:

The woofers in my prototypes are working fine without compression, it is the tweeters that are exhibiting some harshness on the loudest peaks. I don't want to change the crossover re slope or crossover point, as the current setup is fairly flat with a nice blend throughout the overlap frequency band. I would just like to limit the tweeter on the loudest 1-2% of transient peaks, I guess they are too efficient at the loudest levels relative to the woofer, and when the volume is turned up to realistic SPL's, there are occasional peaks which sound a little too loud in coming from the tweeter . . . this is what I am trying to tame. I'm looking into zener diodes per Art J's post, I'll experiment with them to see how they change the sound, if this is an acceptable solution or not . . .

I was just using the analog example to see how "deliberate" compression is being implemented these days . . . maybe there are some recording engineers out there who made the transition and figured out how to achieve the "fat" sound in a better, less distorted way . . . ??

Thanks, rdb :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Euphonic Compression - RandyB 14:28:48 11/12/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.