Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Human hearing

I have encountered some interesting discussions and writings regarding the significance (or lack thereof) of frequencies in the upper registers above 20khz. There seems to be some sound evidence (no pun intended) and arguments to support the idea that the registers that are above the established audible levels do inform the frequencies, harmonics, etc. below and assist in shaping subliminal cues, spatial information, etc. I cannot, unfortunately, refer to specific facts or link to any of these areas of discussion but I do recall being very intrigued by the ideas that were being presented. I know that some people were engaging in studies of the effect that frequencies and sounds generated by computer monitors, power supplies, etc. may have on people who work at or near computers for long periods of time. Apparently, they have measured the decibel levels of frequencies in the upper ranges around some computer systems to exceed 90db. It seems to me that, even if these sounds are not being 'heard', they are entering our nervous system in some fashion and interacting with our body and mind on some level.

Bryan K.,
Music Lover & President-elect of C.C.A.C. (Concerned Citizens Against Cilantro)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Human hearing - centurymantra 11:13:21 11/12/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.