Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Issues

After reading this, I can see an number of issues that might make this less effective for cable evaluations.

I do agree that the listeners must be carefully selected and that having trained listeners would certainly make the tests more efficient and the results more credible. I believe that for any DBT's, trained listeners are beneficial, but carefully selected listeners can be just as effective.

However, I dont agree with their music list. I have some of these recordings and the ones that I have are in no stretch of the imagination good recordings. I believe that good recordings are critical to getting meaningful results.

Also, I am a strong believer in "Blind-folded" DBT tests. I feel that visible stimulus interferes with effective listening, particularly in a such a contrived performance venue as a living-room etc..

Finally, since the object of such studies is to compare and determine "more accurate" components, how can this be done if the starting set of components is not reference quality? This is sort of like cart before the horse. You need the reference components to determine the best musical pieces and to evaluate a single component in a more complex system, yet the system itself is not optimized until after the optimum components are identified and included in the system..... This is what makes this a difficult multi-dimensional problem that typically takes reviewers and designers decades to figure-out. This is probably the most pervasive reason why it is difficult to derive meaningful conclusions from home DBT's.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Issues - audioengr 21:12:48 11/11/02 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.