Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Technical question about vinyl

I realise noise is always a big issue in any of this stuff, and yes analog systems do suffer from a lot of it. I was just trying to draw the analogy of analog to digital without considering such things. Any good digital system will also have a lot of noise.

One of the major differences though is that digital systems introduce noise that is correlated to the actual signal (due to quantization of the sample amplitudes) and correlated noise in the clocking also creates a non-random type noise. This may explain the qualitative differences people hear bewteen analog and digital. Granted most turntable produce an inner groove distortion which can be quite annoying as well. And wow/flutter of the platter can also contribute to correlated noise, especially with servo controlled motors.

I am not giving up on CDs... I have too much invested in them. I find that even big clicks or pops in vinyl don't ruin the illusion of the music - I assume because they are completely uncorrlated to the music your brain treats them as separate sounds. "Hey, someone is popping popcorn on my speakers" but it doesn't ruin the illusion of an orchestra playing in my room. Crappy CD players do ruin the illulsion of the orchestra playing in my room - even with 110dB S/N ratio. Why is that?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.