Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Audiophile quality ripping

it depends on the speed of your PC and the method selected.
But to give you an idea, on moderatelly fast PC (AMD 3400, 1gb RAM, sata drives) by using Apple Itunes ripping to Apple lossless it takes 3-5 minutes for an average CD. It translates to average speed of 12x. This is the fastest way. I guess it gets you 95% of possible quality.

"The highest quality possible" would require the other route. Ripping with EAC in 1x speed to WAV with all correction settings (may actually take slower than 1x speed), then using some program like WAVE to fix the errors, and then convert to lossless format of choice (e.g. FLAC)

If you take fast route, you need 15 hours to rip 300 CDs. If you take top quality route, you will need more than 500 hours. Is it worth it?
I guess not. Many of commercial CDs, especially from the 1980s sound awful, no matter how you rip them. With good PC-based playback, they become even more unlistenable because you hear them as they are.

So, I would devise a plan: Select top sounding CDs and leave them aside. Rip everything else fast way. Then, rip the selected discs top quality way, one by one, when you have time.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.