Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Nothing special here

Tweekeng wrote:

>>"Any good electronics textbook would have the same circuit along with the theory you need to understand how to customize it to fit your needs."

I'm sure that textbooks give informed readers the basic theory but not all of us on this list are competent to use it. Besides, the difference between a textbook circuit that works and a practical one that works well needs theory informed by experience and an eye for detail.

I do not understand why folk feel the need to be ungracious about a useful contribution to the list. If they think the design lacks merit, they should of course say why but it is wrong to suggest that John has merely rehashed a design note.

I've looked at dozens of power supply designs over the years, many of them very good. I've seen several broadly similar to John's (as you'd expect) but none identical and certainly not in the data sheets or in this context.

I find his argument about its merits convincing and it looks easy to build. It seeks to address a significant issue with PC audio and adds support to the notion of "satellite" players that he has been plugging.

I'd like to pursue the idea of adapting cMP2 to use such a device as (a) I don't know Linux but am reluctant to make the effort to learn it right now only to find I can't get it to work with my kit and (b) I am very satisifed with cMP2 and would need some convincing that Linux alternatives are better. (Never say never and all that but also a step at a time.)

Nevertheless, the core argument for using the likes of Fit-PC is strong and John's proffered PSU design adds to it. Many thanks for the effort.

Best

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Nothing special here - Ryelands 04:29:06 01/05/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.