Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Another Vinyl to iPod question (repost from Vinyl Asylum)

I use a PC but the general process is the same.

I use the M- Audio Audiophile USB. This is a self powered external ADAC that has a USB output and RCA line level inputs. It is capable of up to 24/96 conversion.

For software, I use 2 shareware/freeware programs. I tested probably 20 seperate programs, but decided that these 2 satisfy my needs.

Wave Repair and Audacity.

Wave Repair is very easy to use and does not use a lot of system resources. It is limited to 16/44 resolution however. It has rudimentary editing capabilities. The interface is intuitive and resembles a tape deck.

Audacity is also easy to use, but consumes a lot of system resources. This program as extensive editing capabilities. I would suggest a minimum of 256mb of RAM for this program.

I have converted a number of cassettes to digital using Wave Repair and then edited using Audacity. Audacity can import your entire unbroken file and has the ability to export selections as discrete files, in whatever format you choose. What I do is highlight a section corresponding to a track, and then export as a .WVE file.

I have verifed that Audacity can record, save, and edit a full 24/96 file.

A simple web search will give you the download sites for each.

Best,

Ross

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Another Vinyl to iPod question (repost from Vinyl Asylum) - Ross 13:12:44 10/28/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.