Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

To DSP or not to DSP? Does DSP break the rules?

Long Post

It begs the question, to DSP or not to DSP?

Old School

* Purist audiophiles do not use tone controls.

While being able to boost or cut bass and treble, old school tone controls in the signal path can audibly reduce the overall sound quality. I've owned a couple integrated amps with tone controls and sometimes the benefit of tone controls (or even the Loudness switch) outweigh the drawbacks. The drawback was a clearly audible reduction in overall SQ with a 'veil' over what was previously crystal clear or transparent.

A Modern Twist

Anyone here running Digital Signal Processing (DSP) to alter frequency response? I'm not talking about DSP for sample rate or PCM to DSD conversion but more along the lines of EQ to shape frequency response?

I've been running with no DSP for decades except for the very occasional "loudness bump" for low volume level listening similar to engaging the Loudness switch on older integrated amps. DSP works very nicely here w/o affecting overall sound quality.

Going Beyond the Loudness Switch

More recently I've been playing with the DSP Parametric EQ that is built into the ROON player software. HQPlayer has the same capability and more. These offer modern high quality DSP using the power of a PC or Mac.

I'm finding it very interesting that I can tailor specific bands of the frequency spectrum to help 'voice' the overall presentation without affecting overall sound quality. The music remains highly transparent or crystal clear unlike old tone controls that threw a veil over the music.

It can be very satisfying to slightly enhance or de-emphasize certain frequency ranges to compensate for speaker or room deficiencies - or to just play around with the 'voicing' while not affecting the overall SQ.

Am I breaking audiophile rules while running DSP?

My most recent DSP experiment is to give a little smooth boost to frequencies below about 30-Hz which is the bottom end range for my speakers. So I'm forcing more power at lower freqs to compensate for the reduced speaker response that low. It's certainly no substitute for running a couple big subwoofers but it appears to offer a no-cost enhancement and doesn't take up additional space on the listening room floor.

In a sense, anybody running a PC/Mac software based player is running DSP aren't they? After all how do we explain the differences in sound among the different software players? Aren't they all DSP 'voiced' to some extent by the software developer?

Just some of my rambling thoughts on DSP. What's your take?

* True purist audiophiles swap various expensive interconnects as tone controls ;-)

Edits: 12/29/21 12/29/21 12/29/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - To DSP or not to DSP? Does DSP break the rules? - AbeCollins 15:33:53 12/29/21 (41)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.