Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

About Roon & HQPlayer....

Some DSP choices including certain on-the-fly sample rate conversions like PCM to DSD can be quite CPU intensive in Roon or HQPlayer. The heavy lifting CPU intensive conversions are done on your PC or Mac music server, not in the end-point. In this case it pays to have a somewhat hefty music server and not a stripped down low power pico PC or low-end Celeron or Atom based NUC device as your music server.

I've seen CPU and memory utilization go up significantly on my Mac Mini when running certain DSP conversions. Not all but some require a lot!! This is on my 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core-i7 Mini with 16GB RAM. Intel Celeron, Atom, Core i3, may not be sufficient depending on the DSP conversions you choose. Core i5 will be better, and i7 much better.

The good news for me was that HQPlayer integrates nicely with Roon. In other words, I can run HQPlayer AND Roon on my Mac Mini but 'hide' HQPlayer's ugly spartan library management interface and use Roon 'on top of it' instead. HQPlayer does all the signal processing behind the scenes but you use Roon as your front-end. Same if you're using the Roon App on a tablet like the iPad. You don't even see HQPlayer, just Roon. Think of HQPlayer as an on-the-fly sample rate converter including PCM to DSD, and it also handles multi-channel if that's your thing.

Roon also recently added DSP capability but I haven't experimented with it much. These days I'm not even running HQPlayer, just straight Roon.

But again, the end-point doesn't do the heavy lifting DSP work. That's done with HQPlayer and/or Roon running on the music server.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.