Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Question

I'm not real familiar with Airfoil as I have always thought of it as a workaround for not having AirPlay or AirPlay Mirroring capability on older Apple devices. This may not be a correct view. In any case, I cannot give you a direct comparison against iPeng.

I find iPeng + iPeng Player setup with Roon to be pretty straight forward. Once it's setup you don't even interact with iPeng. In fact, the iPeng Player cannot manage your Roon library. As best I can tell it's simply running on the iPad so Roon recognizes it as a Squeezebox compatible end-point. Once it's recognized, you switch to Roon and that's what you interact with and iPeng is just running in the background.

You first have to enable Squeezebox streaming in the Roon server. This is a one time deal. Once it's enabled just leave it.

Launch iPeng on your iPad. You have to now go into your Roon server as it will discover the iPad as a Squeezebox compatible end-point. Once you have the iPad Audio Device setup and enabled on your Roon server you can switch to the Roon App on the iPad and have the Roon interface in front of you for controlling playback and audio out of the iPad. This will also control Tidal if you use Tidal within Roon.

But if you switch to another Audio Device, you may need to go thru the setup process again of having Roon discover the iPad. No big deal.

In my case, using the iPad as an end-point is a secondary thing, a convenience if I want a portable end-point in the garage, backyard, etc. Otherwise, I listen to my main system and just use the Roon App normally.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Question - AbeCollins 21:15:56 07/14/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.