Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: That's a good question, Abe

My thought on the topic is that TB3/USB-C is orders of magnitude faster than any 2-ch computer audiophile will ever need. In fact, USB 2 is already more than adequate in terms of speed even for high resolution music. But the TB3/USB-C speed may come in handy for doing backups, depending on the backup disks.

The entire personal computer industry is moving to USB-C but Apple implementations will also support Thunderbolt 3 within the USB-C connector for Macs. Others may do this too but it's not a requirement.

You will need a hub or adapter cable to get from USB-C to current USB DACs. I don't know of anyone who has tried this yet but I'm sure there are a few early adopters out there. Passive cabling up to 4m will be adequate for your low bandwidth application in the form of a USB-C 2.0 cable, rather than USB-C 3.1.

TB3/USB-C will easily support multiple channels of high resolution audio and video simultaneously but if you plan to run just a basic 2-ch DAC, I see no reason to expect more noise than you're experiencing now. But again, not many folks have actual experience here. We'll have to wait and see as TB3/USB-C become more popular.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.