Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Confirming bit-depth & sample rate in Windows ?

" And one can view how those settings change in real time depending on the bit depth / sample rate of the file being played".

I'm not sure that is necessarly the case with Windows. The setting that you make in the Win sound set up is a fixed output rate. So if your player sends a 16/44.1 file to the DAC via Win Sound and if Win Sound has been set to 24/192 then 24/192 is what will be sent to the DAC not 16/44.1. It won't change to send the original file rate. The only thing to do if you want the original rate is to use WASAPI which avoids that whole Win Sound mixer thing and sends a bit perfect file to the DAC. But I don't think that there is anyway of seeing this happeniing aside from what the DAC displays. So if the DAC does not display this kind of information I don't think that you can see it. I have not come across any facility in Win 10 to do this.

If JRiver or the Qobuz player (the sources that I use) stand as substitutes for Roon or Audirvana then you can certainly see the data rate that these applications are sending to Win Sound. However they will not be the same as the data rate sent to the DAC by Windows unless the player app is able to offer a WASAPI session in audio device selection with the DAC.

As my DAC does display both the bit depth and sample frequency it receives I can confirm that this is the case.

Of course if Roon or the other apps mentioned have some special software that is able to amend the Win Sound advanced settings automatically as the file sent by Roon changes then that would be different. But this is the first time that I have heard of any such thing. Presumably such a facility would need to be defeatable as doubtless some people would want the upsampling offered by Windows as well as some of the other " enhancements" that it provides?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Confirming bit-depth & sample rate in Windows ? - PAR 08:30:36 07/02/17 (1)
    • Yes - fmak 00:52:58 07/03/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.