Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Confirming bit-depth & sample rate in Windows ?

How can one confirm the bit-depth and sample rate of the file being played and sent to a USB DAC under Windows 10 (or Windows 7) if the DAC itself does not display this information?

I am very familiar with how to confirm this under Mac OS. I'm not sure under Windows. Any ideas?

For example, I can watch the bit-depth and sample rate fields change value in real time within Audio MIDI Setup on the Mac screen when the source file changes..... assuming the player application provides automatic sample rate switching which most do (Pure Music, Audirvana, Roon, etc).

If I play a 16/44.1 resolution music file, those values are displayed within the Audio MIDI Setup screen. If the next music file in queue has a resolution of 24/192 those values are displayed in Audio MIDI Setup as soon as the file begins to play. So, it is easy to immediately 'see' the playback resolution being passed to the DAC by monitoring Audio MIDI Setup. The displayed values change in real time based on the current music file being played.

How do I determine bit-depth and the sample rate being passed to the USB DAC under Windows 10 or Windows 7 ? Thanks.

Edits: 07/01/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Confirming bit-depth & sample rate in Windows ? - AbeCollins 11:54:16 07/01/17 (17)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.