Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Ah, I've had nothing plugged into the USB ports...

The Raspberry Pi only shows a low voltage warning in the upper right hand corner(Lightning bolt or small patch of rainbow depending on the program you are using) on an HDMI connected device. I you have the HDMI disabled in the settings of your music player you will still get a display and any warnings(over heat or under voltage) until the program has finished booting.

Using a standard 2.5A wall wart I never got low power warnings, but the sound seemed terrible after hearing it with other power options.

The IFI worked fine and had great sound for about 3 days and then I started getting low power warning. Sent back.

The "Jay" Power supply gave me low power warnings right out of the starting gate.

No power warnings running from battery as long as the battery was at full charge, I didn't connect a hard drive, and used the 2.5A output. Didn't care for the sound when using the battery. Lower noise floor than the wall wart, but music seemed flat, lifeless, and a little harsh for some reason.

3A 5V Linear Power supply. No power warnings ever and low noise floor. Works with a USB hard drive connected, but the power supply gets very warm.

In every case the sound seemed better when I wasn't getting power warnings than when I was. Seems logical that the Raspberry PI and I2S DAC would perform better with full power than under power.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.