Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: New BBC Radio 3 FLAC Lossless Streaming experiment

Many thanks for the advice. I am listening to it now and will be able to compare it to their 320kBs HD service later when the first live music broadcast of the day starts at 13:00 (BST). Right now I am listening to Rob Cowan's superb morning show ( which is record based but what a great "curator" he is).

Initial feelings are that it is superb although I have already experienced a brief drop out (on an 83MBs internet service). However my feeling is mixed with sadness that only 14 days of the experiment are left.

NB: It only works with the latest Firefox browser, none other.

BBC is also experimenting with a thing called Object Based Sound which will enable the listener to change the sound according to their requirements. However as I understand it this is a bit like being provided with a multitrack tape and doing your own mix ( although there is an option to use a BBC "template" to hear the sound mix that they have chosen). It does sound like a method that will not necessarily work with good simple microphone techniques.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: New BBC Radio 3 FLAC Lossless Streaming experiment - PAR 03:51:41 04/19/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.