Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Iffy iFi

I recall some inmates flaming you a long time ago because you posted photos of the insides of an iFi product that had come apart. I think the glue or whatever they used didn't hold.

My first iFi product, the $50 iFi iPower had to be immediately sent back to the retailer because of poor manufacturing and/or QC. There was something rattling around inside of it. Perhaps it was a plastic piece that came lose or it could have been a metal screw. In any case I didn't want to chance having it cause damage to itself or to my gear. What a disappointment. It was promptly exchanged by the retailer for a new one but that experience (along with the iFi experience you shared) left a very bad impression with me of their products.

I still own the replacement iFi iPower (one of the many power sources recommended for the microRendu) but I hear no difference between it and a $10 wall wart I bought off Amazon.

Even though your Jameco LPS doesn't have stellar specs, most digital gear with their own onboard regulators don't need a thousand dollar LPS or UltraCap power supply. It's not like you're powering the high gain analog stages in a phono preamp. But audiophiles will be audiophiles and 'designer power sources' are easy add-ons, easy to tinker with, and easy to throw money at. ;-)

Edits: 03/10/17 03/10/17 03/10/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.