Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Thanks!

Thanks for all your inputs. The funny thing is I agree with almost all of your comments. Getting a Class A amp, getting a tube amp, etc.

I love Class A amps. I used to own one, Aleph 3. Best amp to date, IMO. However, after hearing Class D amps (all Chinese boards) I sort of heard the characteristics of a Class A amps. I thought paying 20 times more for Class A and warming up the house with it was not worth it *that* much. So, I got different digital amps to see how closer I can get to Class A. They all sound good but still not Class A. I got a cheap Chinese tube preamp to try with it and the sound got better. I did not mention my tube preamp because I want to see if I can get the sound I have been looking for without a preamp. Tubes always scare me for some reason:)

Yesterday, I took my Class D amp for some upgrades to this shop. Before any mods, we wanted to listen to it. It was connected directly dCS DAC. The sound was not good at all. I almost changed my mind about the upgrades because no upgrade could help here. Then we connected the amp to a tube preamp (not my Chinese pre) and kept dCS in the setup. The sound changed dramatically! I hope the sound will be even better after the upgrades. After this experience, I am 100% convinced that I need a tube preamp with it.

So, my new plan is to use a tube preamp at all times and see how it is with the Mojo. But in the mean time, listening to available DACs in my system to take the sound even further (if I can) without a preamp.

Thanks again for all the replies.

@E-Stat: The AC adapter you are referring to is 1A. I thought SB Touch requires 2.1A? I may be wrong.

Edits: 02/15/17 02/15/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.