Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Either way is great

It really depends on what you want to do. I still run AV+ now and then in "integrated mode" with iTunes as my interface and library manager. It sounds great. AV+ is a one-time buy. Roon is more costly.

But more recently I've been using Roon. Roon will cost you $119/yr unless you buy the lifetime at $499.

You can run Roon Core (the full-up Roon package) on your Mac/PC. You can launch Roon on the Mac/PC with it's nice user interface displayed on your computer screen, navigate your library with your keyboard/mouse, and output to a DAC and the rest of your system. You can ALSO use an iPad or other Tablet instead of the computer keyboard/mouse. There's a free Roon Remote App you can download to the iPad/Tablet.

Additionally, you can install Roon Bridge software on another PC/Mac in your home and 'stream' from the computer that has Roon Core on it the one that has Roon Bridge.

Plus, there are several commercial network streamers that are "Roon Ready" and you can stream to those from your Mac/PC that has Roon Core on it.

You pay for and run the main Roon Core package on one Mac or PC but you can have as many 'end-point' streamers as you like.

I haven't played with Tidal on Roon so that's another option and I've read that support for MQA is also in the works for Roon. Rather than signing up for the 14-day free trial, some hardware vendors are bundling a 60-day free trial for Roon. That's what I got when I purchased the $50 AudioQuest Jitterbug device for USB. I played with Roon for 60-days before I signed up. I was ready to sign up within a couple weeks but I figured I would first let my 60-day trial run out.

You can always try it out for 14-days to 60-days then decide if it's for you. It's hard to explain all of Roon's features and benefits so the best way is to get a feel for it by playing with it.

I plan to replace the Mac mini with a music server in the next year or so.

You can but you don't have to. Your Mac Mini IS the music server. It runs AV+ and Roon Core just fine. In fact, it probably runs them better than some 'dedicated' commercial music servers. Additionally, your Mini is powerful enough to easily run HQPlayer which is not the case for some 'dedicated' commercial music servers. And HQPlayer works nicely with Roon on the Mini.

Edits: 02/04/17 02/04/17 02/04/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.