Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

NSA and other issues

You're right that most of us have a lot of financial info floating around on the internet - credit cards, social security numbers, health info, and the like, but off-site storage of music does introduce a new element.

"Copyright trolling" is an increasingly common situation where law firms are actively searching the internet for alleged violations of copyrighted info.

I have a friend who recently received a 35 page subpoena, via his ISP, for an alleged violation 8 months ago of downloading a movie he'd never even heard of. (I know this fellow well enough to be certain the allegation is BS on several levels.) He's now going to have to hire an attorney to sort things out.

ISPs automatically fork over the requested customer data when they receive these subpoenas, so its a natural next step for the trolls to start requesting info about large batches of copyrighted material being stored by a customer in a cloud setting. The burden of proof would fall on the customer to prove their copyright innocence versus the troll having to prove the opposite.

In short, for a lot of us, it is going to be quite a while before the level of trust is sufficient to store one's music collection in cyberspace. It's just too cheap, fast, easy and risk-free to keep a couple of spares on external USB drives versus the known and potential hassles of the cloud.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.