Computer Audio Asylum

Re: What "sounds" best: PC, MAC Mini, or Linux based transport?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Thread:  Display  All  Email ] [ Computer Audio Asylum ]

You can use the IPAQ to control slimserver no matter what platform the server is running on. Since slimserver uses a web interface, you can control it using any method you have that can get to a web page. When using a squeezebox there is little advantage to having the server be a super quiet machine since it can reside in a different room than the listening room. You can even use the squeezebox as the wireless access point for the IPAQ interface. (Server connected to squeezebox with cat5 and and wifi on squeezebox being used for wifi to IPAQ if you don't jave another wireless access point)

In my case I have two dedicated computers, both running DSL, one the server with the big drives, not particularly silent, running in the spare bedroom. The quiet mini-itx is right next to the listening chair and is connected to the USB DAC and serves as its control interface. The idea is that squeezeboxes will go in other parts of the house and run off the same server.

I know a number of people using MAC-minis as server/controllers in the listening environment and like them very well. I don't think there will be an issue of which type of hardware sounds better for driving a squeezebox.

For me I'm perfectly happy with slimserver, others hate it and vastly prefer iTunes or something else, thats going to be a personal choice.

John S.

Follow Ups:

You can not post to an archived thread.

[
Top of Page ] [ Contact Us ] [ Support/Wish List ] [ Copyright Warning! Click for Details ]

[ General ] [ Speakers ] [ Tubes ] [ Vinyl ] [ Digital ] [ Hi-Rez ] [ Video Asylum ] [ Cables ] [ Tweaks/DIY ] [ Music ] [ Films ]