Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Certainly of the 4 30-to-60-Watt SETs I tried...

The amount of sound pressure capacity you need is a subject of differing opinions and significant debate. Most music is severely compressed so there is not a lot of need for headroom to reproduce the dynamics, although most would tend to play that music louder to make up for the poorer dynamics.

But really well recorded music can have 20 db or more of dynamic peaks which could be truncated if the amp is not capable of reproducing such peaks. If you want to reproduce the sound pressure in a symphony concert hall, you probably would want to be able to play at about 95 db for the crescendos plus additional headroom for dynamics. If you want to have the capability to reproduce a rock concert, then you probably would want to play even louder - over 100 db. This is why some design for 105, 110 or 115 db output (and some even more) to play music at actual event levels and to cover the dynamic peaks in the music. Of course, this may not be good for your hearing....

Retsel

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Certainly of the 4 30-to-60-Watt SETs I tried... - Retsel 09:18:01 04/02/23 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.