Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

carbon composition shunt resistors

I already mentioned this to 6bq5 via private email, but I thank him for pointing me to check the CC shunt resistors in the "good" amplifier. What I found when first I paid attention to the DC voltage readings was that ALL of the CC resistors were either about 20% above their nominal resistance value or had completely gone short circuit, meaning the meter could read their value as "OL". One other read about 1.1M ohms. This was causing aberrant current sharing across the PS capacitors. (The Beveridge PS has to develop 3200V in two 1600V sections. It uses 8 X 450V electrolytic capacitors in series, between ground and the 3200V output, in order to do that. Hence the necessity for the shunt resistors to promote current sharing.) I noticed that some of the capacitors were not seeing their fair share of the voltage, and others were seeing way more than their 450V limit. Further, as a result the voltage was drifting under my observation. So, if I had just put this amplifier back into service, it would probably have failed catastrophically at some point, soon. In fairness, the CC resistors are ~40 years old, as my amplifiers are dated "1979". I tossed them, and I tossed the filter capacitors too, although they had been changed about 4-5 years ago after I bought the system. Only about 4 out of 8 were grossly defective, but I don't trust the remaining 4 to hold up. It was folly to have changed the caps without also changing the shunt resistors, but live and learn. Now I will rebuild with new parts.

Edits: 10/18/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • carbon composition shunt resistors - Lew 09:07:58 10/18/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.