Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

In the standard set-up there are no cables.

The amp connects directly to the speaker via HV banana plugs. The stators receive +/-3200V. Can you imagine a "safe" cable for that? I've got 20kVDC wire, but not enough of it. I remember seeing a photo where some guy in Europe inverted his Beveridge speakers, so that the amplifier sits on top. Then he removed the "bottom" part of the clam shell chassis (which becomes the "top" part when the whole speaker/amplifier is inverted). Thus he could see and access the amplifier while playing music, if he stood on a step ladder, because the speaker alone is at least 6 ft tall. I honestly don't want to be standing on a step ladder next to +/-3200V that is riding on a structurally "tippy" cabinet. I guess for test purposes, you could lie the speaker on its backside and use 20kV wire terminated in HV banana plugs on the amplifier end and HV banana jacks on the speaker end, to link the banana jacks on the amplifier, which would be sitting on the floor next to the speaker, to the relevant male banana plugs on the speaker.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.