Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Premature judgement

Hm.

This really supports the idea that the layout and component choice has resulted in a circuit that is unstable and on the verge of oscillation on any given Sunday. Moving the current limiting devices should have had no effect whatsoever on the noise. But if you were having an RFI problem, this could have had a big effect- which later might not have appeared to do what it did earlier. RFI is like that- its inconsistent. An oscillation essentially produces RFI in the circuit- and as a result can act almost exactly the same, as the radiation gets everywhere in circuit.

I really would change out those stopping resistors, as 1K seems entirely inadequate. From your description (and what I've seen of them), the amp seems to have been designed around a 'by gosh and by golly' approach rather than the math actually worked out in all the areas. The 1K stops seem to me an example of that- more an acknowledgement that you need them but not actually a value that would do what they are meant to do. Its not a big deal- you've already moved them. If they don't calm the amp down a bit you can always change them back.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.