Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Oscillation

Hi Ralph, I just sent you a private email. I fired up the amp on my benchtop with no input and no load. Using my Fluke 87 meter, I detect an AC voltage on the banana jack that feeds the mylar diaphragm, when the amp is connected to a speaker. The frequency of that voltage is 150kHz. So I am assuming you were correct; the white noise I heard is due to oscillation. Now comes the process of re-doing everything I did last week in the process of fixing the original damage which was evidently due to power tube arcing. Eventually I should find a bad solder joint or something like that that is causing the instability. Any comments or suggestions are always appreciated. I am thinking I may not need to use a scope at all; I'll just backtrack step by step and check at every step for the presence of that very high frequency AC signal at the output, using the Fluke meter. Thank you so much for mentioning the idea of oscillation, which I should have considered but didn't.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.