Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Sounds like an oscillation.

This reminds me again of my problem with the Patricia Barber SACD "A Distortion of Love." You may recall that with that SACD, and no others, there is background white noise which is not noticeable at low listening levels, but which becomes quite intrusive as soon as I turn up the volume to what I might call "high moderate" level. This occurs on every cut, but only as the music is playing. I have tried two SACD players, and the result is the same. I hear this noise only when playing through my NYAL amp fed to the Stax speakers, not when listening through headphones and my headphone amp. The sound level on that SACD is quite low, and I have to turn up the volume control on the preamp quite a bit more than for other SACD's, which may have something to do with the problem. I have read in a few places that some SACD's have a lot of high frequency junk that can excite oscillations in some amplifiers, so I eventually purchased some ferrite beads (chokes?) which I clamped around the output from the SACD player. This had no effect.

I don't regard this as that serious an issue, because the problem only occurs with one SACD,
and I have a FLAC version which sounds pretty good. Still, I'd like to know what is going on.
I think Ralph said that the problem might indeed be with the very high bandwidth of the amplifiers,
excited by junk on the SACD. I wonder if there is a way to measure that with a scope (I don't have one).

Anyway, just wondering.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.