Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Is it a "real" H3?

I don't suggest changing the circuit. That is a very tricky business, anyway. The only real "upgrades" I know about are the ones made by the engineer for NYAL. (I think his name is or was "Hammond".) Supposedly that improved bass response. Otherwise, if you are just upgrading or renewing parts, I would not think you devalue it for a collector. Hang on to the original parts; that should mollify any purist collector.

Ralph or Bruce Rozenblitt of Transcendent would know exactly how Hammond changed the circuit. I would change out any and all electrolytics, the outputs as noted, and the coupling capacitors because there are much better ones these days. Resistors generally hold up well, but if you have carbon resistors, they do change value with age and use and should be replaced where necessary. Unless you have a schematic, you will have to rely on reading the color coded bands on each resistor to determine their intended value.

Julius built two amplifiers for me in the late 1970s, when he was working with one assistant out of a small "factory" off Broadway on 72nd St, toward the end of his life. The second effort was an H3aa with the photoflash caps. He was a very kind, very humble man. He made his own power transformers in that loft. One day when I went up there, several freshly made ones were hanging up to dry and reeking of PCBs. Not exactly a "safe" workplace.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.