Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: From what I understand the Zero's...

(1) The impedance conversion afforded by the Zero autoformer is much lower than that of any conventional tube output coupling transformer, because the impedance matching can be as low as 2:1 and almost never more than 4:1. (The output Z of the OTL is nearly the same as that of the speaker, usually at least a bit less.) Whereas in a conventional transformer coupled (OTC) tube amplifier, you are facilitating an interaction with power tubes that have output Z in the thousands of ohms to a typical speaker with a Z of 4-16 ohms. This makes for wider bandwidth and lower distortion for the Zero vs the conventional output transformer. The job of the output transformer is much harder.
(2) Because it's an auto former and because of the reduced workload, you would not have hysteresis distortion, or at least much less of it.

I don't say the Zero is perfect, but I do say that to my ears the combo of the Zero with an Atma OTL is still superior to every OTC tube amp I have tried on the same set of speakers. Audio is full of trade-offs. If you want to stamp your feet and walk away in protest, that is your privilege. Or find a pair of speakers that don't need the Zeros.

Edits: 05/15/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.