Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: You should go to their website....

"And read up on the Zero's. This should help you understand what the Zero actually does with OTL amps and other amps as well."

Well I did look there, but I didn't see any surprises. They work in the standard way an autotransformer works, as far as I can see. It all depends upon the standard principles, with the input current causing magnetic fields in the iron (I assume iron?) core of the toroid, which then lead to an induced emf that is fed to the output. The mere fact that there is a shared portion of the winding for "primary" and "secondary" doesn't materially alter the essential principle of how a transformer operates.

Let me, again, try to make my point clear. I am not saying they may not sound good. I am just saying that by using them one is abandoning the notion of an output-transformerless amplifier. This is just a matter of basic physics. (In a similar sense, one could not claim an "output-transformerless amplifier" if one simply took a conventional tube amplifier and mounted the output transformer at the speaker end of the speaker lead rather than at the amplifier end!)

Chris

Edits: 05/06/17 05/06/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.