Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: ok, ok, ok....

Let me be certain I understand your question: You want to know about wiring the transformer in the bottom photo, or the one with the yellow, green, orange, etc leads. Yes? In that case, the black lead ALWAYS goes to the negative post on the amplifier input. The "non-black" leads attach, respectively, to different parts of the primary winding within the bass transformer, so the turns ratio is different depending upon which one of them is making contact with the inductor in series with the positive post on the amplifier input. For example, orange corresponds to "0db". The choices are +3, 0, -3, -6, I think. Those non-black leads normally go to a switch or jumper arrangement, so you can easily switch bass level; the other end of the switch or jumper arrangement goes to the series inductor. I chose to hard wire the orange lead to the single inductor I use in series with the bass transformer, but that's an option. I am not surprised that you would have distortion if you connect one non-black lead to negative and another to positive. IIRC, black lead is always to negative.

That's why I don't know what to say about the transformer with the four red leads and one black, except that the black probably goes to negative.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: ok, ok, ok.... - Lew 07:36:29 06/11/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.