Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Another way to think of it

I put this idea on SLOG a few hours ago. It is possible that your SS amplifier is unstable when asked to drive the capacitative load of the SL speaker without the resistor in the circuit. This has nothing or very little to do with its power capability. Some SS amplifiers decompensate when asked to drive such a load. The presence of the resistor in the circuit ameliorates the capacitative nature of the SL speaker, over all. (I believe that Dr. West even gives this as one reason not to remove the resistor.) When you remove the resistor, the speaker becomes, essentially, one huge capacitor. SS amps don't like to drive capacitors. One notable example is Krell, maybe not the current models, but in the old days they were notorious for shutting down when driving ESLs.

On SLOG, I suggested you might try to borrow a Parasound or Pass amplifier. Both of those are probably OK with the capacitance of the SL speaker load. Later I thought maybe you might try horizontal bi-amping, instead of vertical. Just for the heck of it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.