Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Weaker right channel

I have a pair of MA-1s that have faced some problems in the right channel. Mine is a vers. 3.1 built with the larger chromed power trans of the MA-2 but only 12 output tubes. One of the power tubes blew and I think it may hVe effected other tubes when it went. There was a crackling or popping in the right channel and after a visual inspection revealed nothing I purchases a Hickock tube tester, model 230 to check the tubes. All checked out free of shorts or breaks but the popping remained. Tube by tube substitution revealed a bad 6sn7 tha did not show its defects on the tube tester. Subbing the tube got rid of the noise. Now I tried a test record and find that my right channel is not as loud as the left. It is not a subtle difference. Is a loss of volume due to the driver stage or the power stage or possibly both? Should I be usingnanbetter or different tube tester to check my tubes? I would like to solve this without necessarily replacing every tube on the amp. Any help is appreciated.

Charles

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Weaker right channel - ChasLieb 21:53:13 03/17/12 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.