Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Panasonic TS-ED caps in a circlotron output stage

A while ago I posted about my intention to replace the output stage filter caps in my Atma amps with Panny TS-EDs. I just finished the job and had my first listen. In each phase of each monoblock I previously had one 7900uF computer grade electrolytic plus three 2000uF electrolytics that I purchase locally at an electronics supply house. I think the brand is Marcon. That's about 14,000uF per phase or 28,000uF per monoblock. The Marcon's actually measure quite well, almost as good as the Pannys, in my Sencore LCR meter. I replaced all that with a total of seven 2200uF/200V TS-ED Panasonics per phase, or 14 caps per monoblock, equal to about 30,000uF. Ergo there was not a big increase in total capacitance. In this and the previous array, I use the Paul Speltz tweak of constructing a CRCRCCCCC filter, where the first R is 0.22 ohms and the second R is 0.1 ohms. That was not changed.

The Pannys are giving me better bass definition and clarity than I ever heard before. The midrange is also more 3-dimensional. Listening to LPs with which I am very familiar, I can also hear qualities of individual insruments in a group in ways that I never heard before. The output PS is a big factor in the sound quality of a circlotron. I highly recommend these caps for this use. I think a major factor in the result is simply the fact that a bunch of 2200uF caps is going to be "faster" than a single 7900uF cap, plus the fact that the Pannys are outstandingly fast and have very low ESR for an electrolytic. The converstion was a pain in the butt, but the results are well worth the effort.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Panasonic TS-ED caps in a circlotron output stage - Lew 21:38:08 01/18/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.