Isolation Ward

Take civilization,

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Isolation Ward ]

Say the discovery of fire some 500 000 years ago. Early man could use fire to cover his back in the darkeness of the night to prevent those feral feline carnivores from sneaking up behind him. The fire extends his night vision.

However fire completely overcomes the sense of smell. In addition a roaring fire crackles a lot eliminating a great deal of the sense of hearing.

Considering the most evolutionists consider 50 000 years the time needed for genetic change, a natural evolutionary drift, I would submit that mankind has consciously made a shift to the visual realm being predominant.

Indeed reading This is Your brain on Music by Levitin, the most common survival reflex is the startle reflex when it comes to the auditory realm. That is hardly the case when it comes to listening to music, however. Levitin advances the theory that music lays the foundation for communication an important aspect of civilization.

Current fMRI studies show that the brain recognizes pitch first and then subdivides the signal into separate areas of the brain for more detailed analysis, the cortex, amygdala, and the cerebellum. However, current brain tracking indicates the auditory circuit then cues the visual circuits to engage. I would say that your explanation is far from complete and needs to incorporate some of the latest brain scan date.

stu

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Isolation Ward ]
[ Comment ] [ Edit ] [ Delete ] [ Copyright Warning! Click for Details ]