Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Mouth reflections (reposted from Thomas Dunker)

Hello Jean Michel,

There is not much I can add to the discussion of the early W.E. theatre horns, as I have not studied these in depth. I have read the articles and patents concerning the Fletcher Horn System of 1933, however. I regard this system as pivotal in the evolution of the technology, as it inspired the Shearer Two Way Horn System, which in turn established the two way system as a standard which lasted for many decades.

The Fletcher System contained the first use of a compression driver with a complex phasing plug to minimize path length differences from different parts of the diaphragm. The driver was designed to create a plane wave in the horn throat. The Fletcher also utilized the first multicellular horn. The design of the horn is noteworthy as it also assumes a plane wave in the initial throat section. The individual cells are (nearly) parallel where they begin, then flare out to establish the pattern of the horn. This pattern describes a portion of a sphere, the exact shape determined by the number and arrangement of cells. This pattern is quite uniform up to the frequency where the individual cells begin beaming, as Thomas pointed out in a previous post. The onset of this is about 7kHz., about the upper limit of the response desired from the theatre systems of the 1930s.

The design of this equipment was, like the earlier W.E. horns, absolutely brilliant. These designs of the 1920s and 1930s still provide a healthy challenge, and a standard of comparison for those seeking advancements in the 21st century.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.