Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: SOUNDSTAGE DEPTH. Is it IRRELEVANT to music enjoyment?

I enjoy depth, but don't find it critical since any reasonably well-assembled stereo will provide at least some illusion of depth, faux or no. Lateral width, however, I do find critical since, to me, a pinched stage presentation compresses scale, physical if not dynamic. I enjoy a "fast" sound as much as the next guy, but don't find pace as critical as coherence, which to me is what SET is all about. My experience has been that SET places players--playing together--coherently within the same space. My experience with push-pull, on the other hand, has been that the players are perhaps better defined within their individual spaces, but the presentation itself never develops the unity, coherence, and precision of a good SET presentation. Others might flatly disagree; they might not place as much musical value on those factors; or they might not "hear" or describe the musical presentation in those terms . . . all of which is cool--to each his own. But since soundspace coherence is what I look for in terms of musical (and, yes, auditory) satisfaction, then I suppose depth, width, and other spatial information is critical to my enjoyment. It's in the coherent presentation where I find the musical message. BTW, I use Lowther DX3's in Medallion II cabinets, and they throw a stage at least as coherent as my Spica TC-50's or the Angelus speakers I formerly owned.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.