Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Aging Crossover Capacitors No Longer A Problem !

You are correct about the aging capacitors in the crossover. And, to make matters even worse, Peavey used a Transformer to reduce the level of the 22A Drivers, to better match the level of the extended bandwidth Black Widow.
The Black Widow driver has been quite a pleasant surprise!
This Transformer is known to modulate the horn driver. But, I have Bi Amplified these speakers, using a Mackie 1400 on the top. It has adjustable CD Equalization, so it makes the aging crossover capacitors a moot point.
I realize the old CH 2 Horn is not the best, but I only paid 100.00 for Both of these speakers! Right now, I am trying to find a better driver to screw on the CH 2 Horns to replace the Peavey 22A. I turned off the Horns, and listened to the Peavey Black Widow, all by itself. There is no reason it has to be crossed over at 800HZ. It goes pretty far up in frequency pretty smoothly. So, that opens up a whole new can of worms! Do I try to find a driver I can cross over at 800hz as the Peavey 22A was, or do I take the extended bandwidth 15 inch Black Widow up to 1500hz or so ? If I take the Black Widow up higher in frequency, there are a Zillion Compression Drivers and horns that will go from 1500 way up in frequency. I am not "married" to these CH 2 Horns, they are just what I have right now. I do not hear any "sizzle" as you reported, but the high end is missing/lacking. Or, I can even throw some Tweeters up there! I saw some P Audio Tweeters with their little horns for 20 bucks each! Of course, that will mean a 3 way system vs a 2 way, but that is another option.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Aging Crossover Capacitors No Longer A Problem ! - ka7niq 08:25:30 10/29/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.