Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Substituting Lowther driver

I had a pair of Sachiko, double, back-loaded, horns that also used Fostex drivers FE206E, IIRC. I believe they're quite similar to the Cain & Cain speakers you're using. I tried Lowther PM5A, Fostex FE206ES-R (I thought these sounded the best), and a pair of Dayton PS220-8 drivers as well. I think I tried something else but these 3 are what stand out the most.

I have a friend Mike R. that has a proprietary cone treatment that was applied to all the drivers except the Lowther PM5A! I would have applied it, but my friend said, I'd probably lose a lot of resale value if I did. Alan, I'd try the Dayton PS220-8, they're not very expensive and with Mike's cone treatment they sounded darn good. In fact, I used a pair in my Sachiko horns for 4 years! I'd also suggest trying the Fostex FE206ES-R drivers. They sound much better than the regular FE206E drivers did.

However, if you're sold on Lowther try the PM5 or the PM2A of course there are many better-sounding drivers than Lowthers such as Voxativ, or Cube's F8 Neo, F8 Magus & their Fc8 drivers! Of course, they aren't cheap, but since when are great-sounding, single, full-range, drivers cheap? Finally if you have any questions about what driver will or won't work in your Cain & Cain cabinets, check with Scottmoose first, and Dave who goes by Planet10 over on diyaudio they know a lot about which single, full-range, drivers work well in which cabinets. Good luck and happy hunting!

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society
Full-range/Wide-range Drivers --- Front & Back-Loaded Horns --- High Sensitivity Speakers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Substituting Lowther driver - thetubeguy1954 21:00:25 10/06/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.