Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: HornResp

Ken

I'm Hornsesp curious but I'm really just an interested by-stander as I don't have a job for it now, so I can't help you there. My tractrix mid horns are square horns with 4 sides. I built them out of fomecore which is a piece of styrofoam between two sheets of plasticized paper which can be formed into curves by scoring the top sheet and styrofoam with an exacto and then bending so the bottom sheet acts like a hinge. I built them following Bruce Edgar's seminal Tractrix Horn article from Speaker Builder magazine which is still available I believe on VolvoTretter's website. They immediately crowded out the big McCauley cast aluminum PA mid horns I was using which had replaced some 8HD's before that. I use home made first order series crossovers now with ASC oil caps and air core foil inductors. I once compared my square horns to some round Edgar "salad bowls" at a friends house, and the Edgars were nominally the same dimensions as mine, and I really couldn't hear a difference. I tried some smaller experimental horns out but none of them performed as well as the original 13.5" long ones. I let the drivers and horns frequency response measurements tell me where the crossover point should be and I cross my 1823s' and 1824M's at 500 Hz on the bottom, but your milage may vary of course. Square horns are easier to make than round horns and, since I couldn't hear a difference, I remain in the square camp. Square horns are also easier to integrate with the aforementioned ramp which streamlines the tweeter with the mid, and is non-negotiable once you've tried it in my opinion.

I would definitely do the midrange project first and see how you like it. When Voigt designed the original tractrix horn he wanted to make the smoothest possible curve from the horizontal plane to the vertical mouth, and a draftsman told him that this was a tractrix curve. It's easy to draw a tractrix curve with a flexible ruler you can get where they sell drafting supplies, if you know the length of the horn and mouth size.

About the only useful modification you can make to the T350 is to remove the bug screen which will make it measure slightly better, but whether this is actually audible is hard to say. The advantage of the T350 is how low you can cross it, as it had to be able mate with the EV mids which didn't go as high as the Altec and JBL's.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: HornResp - Paul Eizik 08:29:35 07/26/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.