High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

RE: Actually

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ High Efficiency Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

As former owner of many LaScalas and even more FH-1 bins, the FH-1 is clearly superior, especially with the stiffeners. It measures and simulates better in Hornresp.

I once used FH-1 bins with a pair of EV 960 horns with DH-1A drivers. The bass bins had K-33's which, to my surprise, went down to 30 Hz. without EQ on the bottom end in my basement office. The K-33 pulls up the lower end while sacrificing it's top end, which was easily PEQ'd without an IM distortion penalty with an active 24/96 Digital Xover.

The EVM 15 L or B, as well as a Klipsch K-43 are at the other end of the performance curve, thinning out the bass while getting a much better midrange response, so it's highly dependent on crossover point and what the mid/treble horn does.

Regardless of which woofer is used, the LaScala bin has less response at 400 Hz. by about 3-4 db. The FH-1 is much better in this regard. Both of them peak at about 140 Hz. so using about a 7 db PEQ attenuation at a Q of about 5 or so will flatten them out, but you have to measure with REW or some other software in your ROOM to know for sure.

Follow Ups: