High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

RE: What attributes make a driver a good match for a SET?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ High Efficiency Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

I'll be designing an open baffle speaker using an 8" full range driver with super low inductance, coupled to twin Eminence Alphas and an Original Heil AMT tweeter. I can't afford LSPCAD right now, but I can get by without it.

I don't ever plan on going back to tubes (left those bias/tube replacment headaches behind in my 20's) but I have tried class AB, Single Ended FET Class A (with tube-like 2nd order distortion products), and soon to be Class D on my SH-50's. So I have none of those non-linear "dynamic voltage divider" issues that are prominently provided by single ended tube amplifications.

I have yet to try Rephase on a MiniDSP since I use a Yamaha Pre Pro for 6.2 and 2.2. BUT, the YPAO room correction does a great job of taming the abundant bass on the SH-50. It still blows my mind that so much bass can come out of such a small horn. In my room, I only need Sub bass below 40 Hz, with my "subtle" TH-50's.

This is still the best sound I've ever had, but I do find the 3D qualities of open baffle speakers to be interesting as a second setup to play with. We shall see.

Follow Ups: