Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: I didn't ask for PWK's measurment of the BOSE 901...

Aside from a mild miscommunication on our parts about subject titles, I see no real conflict here.

And no, I did not "scream and yell" as you put it. My keyboard did not have the Caps Lock on, so in the case of internet etiquette, that clearly was not the case, except for a few key words.

Paul Klipsch has also measured what an 8" driver does with intermodulated frequencies. Using the same driver, he did both direct and horn loaded measurements. When I asked him about that he flipped the pages to the collection of his papers on his desk to point out that horn loading that driver produced an extra 15 db of output with about 25 db less IM distortion, which he said made it "approximately proportional." Which was really 10 db better than predicted.

I don't know who you are, or what you do, but now that you said you have been a "horn guy" for 20 years (40 for me) it bears another question:

If you are truly living the dream with an all horn system, as I'm guessing you are, why do you bother with so much time and attention to simple opinion on my part about overpriced IM Distortion Generators?

No matter how fancy the magnet, voice coil specs, diaphragm material, shorting ring, suspension, etc. an 8" driver is made of, the IM distortion can only be as good worse than the best of physics can predict (Beers and Belar), never better.

To further make my point, I have NEVER gotten a straight answer from any engineer or representative from a speaker company about IM distortion of their speakers. Rhetorical question alert: I wonder why?

Edits: 05/27/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.