Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Help Needed Selecting The Right Hi-Efficiency Subwoofer

People all the time complain that the subwoofer is not "fast enough" to keep up with a Lowther. If it is a backhorn, most people will want to place the subwoofer in line with the speakers, hence the subwoofer will be out of phase with the backhorn and, of course, they conclude that the subwoofer is too slow.

What they need to do is move the subwoofer back until they are phase aligned with the backhorn bass. The problem is if they room is not large enough and cannot move the back horn speakers forward enough to allow the subwoofer to be moved back enough, their subwoofer will not be in phase with the backhorn bass. Then you need to phase-delay the subwoofer.

Having used Hedlund Horns for so many years, I was always surprised at how little the difference in phase between the front of the driver and backhorn was noticeable - maybe I subconsciously chose to ignore it. But others who heard my system did not seem to notice either.

Retsel

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Help Needed Selecting The Right Hi-Efficiency Subwoofer - Retsel 11:41:07 05/25/17 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.