Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Help Needed Selecting The Right Hi-Efficiency Subwoofer

I think the DX4 drivers are very nice. Most people say they prefer the "A" series of Lowther drivers to the DX series, but a few prefer the DX series over the "A" series.

As far as what frequency response that the Beauhorn front horn accentuates, I recently did a literature search on this forum, and ran across a post by Thorsten Loesche who stated that the front horn of the Beauhorn boosts frequencies down to 300 hz. That may be what you are referring to. I still don't understand this statement giving the size of the front horn mouth, though.

I suggest that you high pass the DX4s at whatever frequency that makes sense to preserve the midrange. If the Lowther DX4s try to reproduce lower frequencies, the midrange will distort. I have 15 ohm DX4s and the x-max is 3 mm. The 8 ohm variety of the Lowther DX4s has only 1 mm of x-max. Also the 15 ohm Lowther DX4s don't have the 2khz frequency bump like the 8 ohm variety does.

My Lowther DX4s are on open baffle and I high pass (1st order) the DX4s at 100 hz, maybe a little higher. Even at that fairly high frequency, some significant bass rich music can still cause issues even with the high pass. I figured out that I likely need to add a second order to the high pass crossover. You are likely in a better place than me because the backhorn will provide some loading to the driver at lower frequencies to dampen the cone movement.

Have you compared the doorknob diffusers to the holey doorknob diffusers that Lowther sells? I saw that Dave Slagle still uses the bullet style of diffuser with his Azura horns. That maybe because the Azura horns have a faster expansion compared to most horns. He, of course is using his field coil Lowhters, and maybe that makes a difference.

Retsel

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Help Needed Selecting The Right Hi-Efficiency Subwoofer - Retsel 11:30:17 05/25/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.