Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: What attributes make a driver a good match for a SET?

I'll be designing an open baffle speaker using an 8" full range driver with super low inductance, coupled to twin Eminence Alphas and an Original Heil AMT tweeter. I can't afford LSPCAD right now, but I can get by without it.

I don't ever plan on going back to tubes (left those bias/tube replacment headaches behind in my 20's) but I have tried class AB, Single Ended FET Class A (with tube-like 2nd order distortion products), and soon to be Class D on my SH-50's. So I have none of those non-linear "dynamic voltage divider" issues that are prominently provided by single ended tube amplifications.

I have yet to try Rephase on a MiniDSP since I use a Yamaha Pre Pro for 6.2 and 2.2. BUT, the YPAO room correction does a great job of taming the abundant bass on the SH-50. It still blows my mind that so much bass can come out of such a small horn. In my room, I only need Sub bass below 40 Hz, with my "subtle" TH-50's.

This is still the best sound I've ever had, but I do find the 3D qualities of open baffle speakers to be interesting as a second setup to play with. We shall see.

That being said, I have heard 8" whizzer cone drivers on open baffle and they did sound very good with SET and other amps. Besides, I believe in Room EQ, which would go a long way to tame any frequency/impedance dependent anomalies anyhow.

Perhaps the SET amp lovers need to look to those solutions also.

Edits: 05/20/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.