Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Help Needed Selecting The Right Hi-Efficiency Subwoofer

What drivers are you using?

I never understood something about the Beauhorns. To get much sound reinforcement at lower frequencies (150 to 500 hz) to bring up the efficiency of something like a Lowther, the front horn would have to be much larger than that of the Beauhorns. If that is the case, then how do the Beauhorns achieve that level of efficiency? Is the front horn just for show? Maybe the Beauhorns utilize a very small compression chamber to balance out the frequency response?

One thing I found with my Hedlund Horns is that the back horn has to be very well braced to get great quality midbass from them. You can ask what Paul Butterfield about that because he did the same thing to his Hedlund Horns.

The subwoofer you use depends on what you want to use the system for. If you only need response down to 30 hz for audio, then a small boxed subwoofer, such as a Rythmic would be fine. If you want to go lower for home theater type stuff, then you will need something with more oomph. Another idea is to check out the push-pull slot loaded type subs (push-pull sealed box, vented box, open baffle...).

I had a Genesis servo sub (a single 15 inch driver) with my Hedlund horns, and it worked out very nice for audio.

Retsel

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.