Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: General speaker design characteristics for a 2A3 amp

I am using Audio Note E/Spx Alnico HEMP loudspeakers of around 96dB sensitive - and Audio Note's 2a3 Empress monoblocks with M6 preamp blew me into next week. Power and bass were rather astounding. Granted Audio Note is on the very expensive end of the price spectrum and the parts are beyond first rate so that may have something to do with 7 watts seeming like 700 watts (indeed a reviewer in the UK recently compared them against 700 watt per channel amps and found the bass to be better on the SET! So much for weak SET power. Just need the right two way.

I ran my AN J/Spe for 13 years on the Audio Note OTO Phono SE which was a SEP amp using EL84. It was measured at 4.2 watts undistorted per channel. The speaker is 89.5dB sensitive or 92.5dB in the corner. Min 5 ohm. The OTO never had trouble belting out ~28hz of bass at pretty good drive levels - enough to make my keyboard bounce on the table. So pretty loud but not crazy crazy loud like some big 15 inch woofers on some 100dB sensitive horns.

Interestingly - the Empress at 7 watts per channel seems significantly more powerful than Audio Note's 300B monoblocks rated at 8 watts per channel for the same price. I was really surprised by the weight and power of the 2a3.

The Empress Silver 2A3 is on my list for future upgrade but I have a couple of things ahead of it right now.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: General speaker design characteristics for a 2A3 amp - RGA 23:25:10 04/26/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.