Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: How to reproduce the full dynamics of a scissor cutting paper without clipping

Hi
I was wondering around the house and yard with a B&K 2204 SLM which has an impulse hold setting.
I was about 6 or 8 feet from where the spoon hit the tile, the sound level meter chest high.

Klang! Yes, my point though is that although that and slamming the car door were startling, one would have had NO idea how loud the instantaneous peak levels actually were. I mean I was used to measuring sound levels already and was taken aback by what I saw.

That is because our judgment of "loudness" is frequency dependent and duration dependent and we do not hear short loud sounds as "loudly" as when the same signal is present for a longer time.

It also depends what one wants to do, our hearing system is very forgiving, it is easy to produce the sound of a door being closed well enough so that everyone knows what it is, but it's another thing entirely to reproduce the sound of a door closing sufficiently accurately that a person looking the other way, will think a door was closed.

To reproduce at that level, one must reproduce essentially everything that is that sound including the short peaks.

Now like I said, I never measured the scissors thing or even heard of it until this thread but for sure, there are peaks in all kinds of sounds we record that were too impractical to include or reproduce in all but the most extreme cases. Thankfully at work we have a customer interested in "making it sound real" as possible on a large scale including large scale phantom and stereo images because I love this stuff.
Best
Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.