Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Pure Audio Project Open Baffles & 2 Questions

Thanks Mick! Also for mentioning the Audio Circle OB forum. I didn't know or forgot about it. I took a look and there appears to be lots of interesting and active threads.

Here are a few thoughts I didn't mention in my original post because it was already a bit long. The reason I originally bi-amped the system is because the PAP Neodymium woofers are less sensitive than my Altec/Jensen drivers. With the Crown woofer amp, I was able to dial up the woofer level to match the other drivers. However, two items made me think the new setup could work.

The first is a quote from the woofer product design manager: "(this model) can play with any tube amp starting at 3.5w. They are very responsive 95/96db drivers!" The second is that I believe having 2 woofers per side increases the output somewhere between 3 and 6db.

Even though those factors should get the woofers up to the level I need, in practice I did lose some bass below 40hz. Of course we are comparing 8 watts vs. 525w for the Crown amp into 4 ohms. However, running the speakers full range using just the Bottlehead Paramount 300B amps sounds better!

My only concern now is the speaker system impedance. My Paramounts are upgraded with Magnequest BH-5 output transformers and only have 8 and 16 ohm taps. If my OB impedance is much lower than 8 ohms, I wonder what impact that has power or distortion? I know impedance calculations can be complicated and that it varies with frequency so that's why I asked the impedance question.

Gerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.