Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

But does it sound like an actual performance?

One has to admire the effort but I wonder with all of that STUFF does it meld into something that sounds like music?

The only thing I can compare such an effort to was my chance to Hear Dr. Gaw's system. The fellow who used to write for enjoythemusic.com (which I have to say I do not pay much attention to but I would read Gaw's monthly ruminations).

I remember seeing that picture of his system, which I later found was very unflattering. The picture made it look like a room packed full with randomly placed boxes but in actuality the room is huge and there is plenty of room for everything and it was quite obvious it was meticulously arranged.

Nonetheless, I was interested but expected to hear a visceral sound but not one with subtlety. To top it off their was TV stuff in the room! How can it sound good with a TV screen and projector in the room? It was multi-channel - I cannot remember if it was 4 or 5 - but another one of those things I "knew" for sure could not result in "pure" sound.

All I can say is that it was one of the three most memorable audio experiences I have ever had.

Amongst other things, Dr. Gaw played parts of THE LAST WALTZ which I had never much paid attention to - I love THE BAND but I am one of those who felt after the first two records they had lost their way.

Well, let me tell you I have never experienced anything as good in any live venue. Of course, with rock music this is not huge surprise, but this was so damned good it brought tears to my eyes. I told Dr. Gaw I would gladly pay admission to experience such a system.

Not that this was a rock system. He played orchestral music and it had a scale and proportion that only a system of this magnitude could project. Using Allen Wright's 300B amps for the critical frequencies there was good tone and transparency as you would expect.

SO, it is possible for these giant systems to sound good. I do worry about Mr. Burwen's amplifier choice but until one hears such a system one just doesn't know.

I wonder if he charges admission to get a chance to hear it? I would pay.

I guess we could call the scissors/paper noise a micro-macro dynamic? I think there is little doubt that this phenomenon is what is missing from our systems. The ability to reproduce these little BIG sounds is what separates reality from our best reproduction efforts.

Thanks for reminding me of the article and Mr. Burwen.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • But does it sound like an actual performance? - rickmcinnis@dogwoodfabrics.com 06:51:47 04/19/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.